Tuesday, November 14, 2017

The Downfall of Men (and Women)

In my Book of Mormon class this week we are studying warnings. The warnings are pretty similar and follow similar patterns throughout both the Book of Mormon and the Bible, however because this is a Book of Mormon class we do not focus on the teachings in the Bible, however use them as references for questions we have on the subject.

President Ezra Taft Benson summed up the major warning in the Book of Mormon basically as "Beware of Pride!"

Recognizing my own pride is not one of my strong suits, nor is it most people's either. This year I read a book called "Captain of Her heart" by Anita Stansfield in which I realized this as one of my largest shortcomings. In this book, the two main characters largest downfall is due to pride. Pride is what stands between them in their relationship only it is not as easy to get rid of as it is to possess it. Many of the mistakes that the couple made I could see myself making and I realized just how awful pride really is. Pride can strain relationships. It makes someone resist help they desperately need. It destroys the relationship between God and man.

The Book of Mormon was given to us to warn us of pride and to help us be aware of the signs of pride. By being wary of what pride can cause and the signs of pride, we can prepare ourselves avoid pride where we can and become more christlike.

No comments:

Post a Comment